Saturday, June 11, 2011

Prayeritude Adjustment

Our vacation was over.  I was back home safe and sound but it wasn’t until sometime during my first full day back that I realized my prayer faux pa.  The trip back from our beautiful and peaceful sunny holiday included a particularly terrifying flight from Texas complete with over-head compartments popping open and carryon luggage flying about the cabin.  Let me just say now that I am not a good flyer even in the best of circumstances, which these I must say, were not!

I recall holding (please read – clutching on for dear life) my husband’s hand while I prayed quietly as tears steamed unchecked down my ghost white cheeks.  I begged God to get us through this electrical storm and back on safe ground.  I do believe there may have even been some promises made, which to be honest I don’t recall.  Does God hold us to promises we make when in hysterics when we don’t recall them two minutes after the mayhem stops?  Hmm… I need to learn from Saul's mistakes (1 Sam. 14, Saul makes a couple of foolish oaths).  Well any way, the plane did eventually land and I swear if there weren’t so many witnesses I would have gotten down on my knees, dug through the snow and kissed the cold wet ground.  Praise God, the flight was over and we were safe.

And there it is… Praise God.  But you know what, I didn’t.  We got off of the plane and collected our bags.  We were picked up at the gate and recounted our horrifying ordeal to the driver the whole way home.  Then we crashed, the good ‘crashed’ as in deep sleep.  I began the next morning by unpacking and going through the ever sad process of getting back to the normal day to day which is so anticlimactic after any vacation.  Then out of nowhere, it hit me.  I begged for God’s help in the air.  He freely gave it and not only brought us through it, but was there clutching on to my other hand through the one hour nightmare in the sky.  But.. I hadn’t thanked Him.  How selfish.  How neglectful.  I know it was a desperate situation, but even still.  I behaved like a spoiled child (picture a little girl holding a big colorful swirly lollipop with a big bandage over her knee having a tantrum), “God give me, help me, do what I want!!!”  without so much as a ‘thank you’.

Another time, more recently, my situation was such that I needed to trust God to provide and see me through some serious situations.  God, every loving, ever faithful, allowed me to feel His presence.  I knew He would provide.  I knew He heard my prayers.  But while folding some towels one Thursday afternoon, I thought about what I was asking of God and the manner in which I was looking for it to be answered.

Ephesians 3:20 – 21 says,  Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. 
We are told that Jesus can do things ‘exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think’.  Yet in the prayers I was praying, I again was acting like a child.  ‘God, I’d like this.’  Then when I didn’t get the answer when I wanted it, I continued to pray, “God, I’d like this but I’ll settle for that.”  After more time, “I’ll take whatever God if you wouldn’t mind helping us please.”  At the time of the towel folding, I’d have to say my prayer took on this kind of attitude, “God could you please provide in a way that wont totally stink?”  Seriously?  Seriously?  Is that how you approach the Great I AM – the God who is so able to provide, ‘exceedingly abundantly’??

It was clearly time for a serious Prayeritude Adjustment. 

Prayeritude:  is the manner, disposition, feeling, or position with regard to prayer

Being a Christian for many years, I knew full well that prayer isn’t just a time to make demands.  I remember the acronym: A – adoration, C – confess, T-thanksgiving, S-supplication.  I also knew that we weren’t to go to the Father without trust in His abilities, nor were we to go with a weak wishy-washy mamby-pamby faith.  It’s time to go to the word and allow God to speak to my spirit in order to get a much needed prayeritude tune up.

Jer. 29: 11-13 ~ For I know the plans that I have for you declares the Lord, plans for a hope and a future and not for calamity.  You will pray to me and I will hear you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart.   God wants what is best for me.  My prayers never fall on deaf ears. He wants me to be in fellowship with Him.

Philippians 4: 11 ~ Be anxious for nothing, but everything through prayer and supplication with thanksgiving make your requests known to God.  Ok, I am praying, but I’m still hanging on to my familiar companion, anxiety.  It’s time to give it the heave-ho and remember to be thankful in all things.  But how much should I pray?

1 Thes. 5:16 ~ Rejoice always (there it is again); pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks (and again), for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.  Ok, so keep praying, not because I don’t think God hears me the first time, or because I need to lower my expectations, but because He calls me to.

James 1:5-8 paraphrased says that if any of us lack wisdom we should ask it of God but we must come before Him with confidence, not wavering.  Wavering I was – where was my confidence in Him?  In He who is able to do exceedingly abundantly beyond all I can ask or think.

Dear Lord, help me to absorb your word into my mind and heart and spirit not just for today but for all of my tomorrows.  Help me to pray to you all the time with confidence, boldness and peace knowing you can and will handle all things according to your perfect will and timing because you love me and that You answer in a much better way than I could ever imagine.

What have you been praying about?  Did any of these verses speak to you today?  Are you in need of a prayeritude adjustment?

No comments:

Post a Comment