Wednesday, June 8, 2011

His World, His Rules

Today was a beautiful, albeit especially hot late spring day.  As I sat outside with my boys while they played my youngest picked up a bug (I have NO idea what kind it was... something with lots of legs) and asked about bringing it inside while he got something from his room.  When I told him not in a million years no he asked why and said I wasn't being fair to the bug.  After all, he insisted, it was a very nice bug.  I then uttered that very familiar phrase, "My house, my rules" with a slight grin on my face hoping that would bring an end to the discussion; which thankfully, it did.  He decided instead to bring his new found friend into the playhouse.
I then looked about taking in the blue of the sky, the fluttering of the leaves, the sounds of the various birds calling to one another.  As I enjoyed God's creation I started taking a mental note of the various rules we have in our house.  Take your shoes off as soon as you come in, if you don't eat all of your dinner you can't have desert, turn your clothes right-side-out before putting them into the laundry basket (you're welcome my future daughter-in-laws), etc... We all establish a set of rules (some homes may have more than others) in our home to make it run in a somewhat orderly and harmonious fashion as well as some to keep those we love safe.

It was about then that I was suddenly taken with the idea that God trumps our little saying.  His saying could be - My world, My rules.

God did create the world, the very ground we stand on, the air we breathe and every one of us doing the standing and breathing.  We may get upset at someone leaving one square of toilet paper on the role or not putting their dirty plate into the sink (anyone.. anyone...?) but how must our Heavenly Father feel when He sees us blatantly disobeying His rules?  The Lord has established rules for us to keep us safe, for our own wellbeing. 

My daily study has me still in 1 Samuel.  In chapter 15 we find Saul disobeying the Lord.  He was told to kill all of the Amalekites and all of their ox, sheep, camels and donkeys.  Why would God tell Saul to do this?  Because the Amelekites had repeatedly instigated war with Israel and God was now going to deal with the wicked people to rid them as if they were a cancer to Israel. 
Did Saul do as God instructed?  No.  He kept the king (Agag) alive and took choice stock of each of the aforementioned animals. If this isn't bad enough, he then lies about what he has done to Samuel.  When confronted, he tells Samuel that the people wanted to keep the stuff (however, who was in charge?).  And then to make it even worse, he claims that he took the livestock in order to sacrifice it to the Lord.
1 Samuel 15:22 says (paraphrased) that God wants our obedience far more than He wants our sacrifice.

John 14:15 says, 'If you love me, keep my commandments'.

How are we doing with respecting the rules of the Maker of... everything?  Are we keeping the choicest bits for ourselves instead of doing with them as the Lord commands? (time, resources, talents..)  Are we hanging onto things, or even people (remember how Saul kept the king, Agag?) that He clearly tells us to have nothing to do with?  Are we choosing behavior that He says is sinful thinking we can put more money in the offering plate to offset the offense?  (He wants our obedience more than our sacrifices.)

Why follow His commands?  Because He loves us and wants what's best for us.  Because we love Him and want to be in fellowship with Him.
Because it's His world, His rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment