Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"it" isn't It

Each time I prepare to open God's word, I first ask Him to open my heart and mind to what He has for me in the verses I'm to read that day.  I then get kinda pushy and ask God to give me a personal application to the text (I do say 'please' of course).
Today I began my devotions in 1 Samuel 4 and was very quickly struck by something.  Ok, not literally, my kids weren't tossing their cinnamon waffles like frisbees or anything - but God quickly brought some words to light.
The Israelites had just gotten beaten badly by the Philistines and instead of realizing that they needed to repent and live according to His ways, they instead said '...Let us bring the ark of the Lord's covenant from Shiloh, so that it may go with us and save us from the hand of our enemies.' (verse 3)  Did you catch what they were saying with that little pronoun?  "IT" will save us.
The Ark of the Covenant was to represent the presence and majesty of the Lord - but it isn't itself God.  They weren't turning to God to save them from the Philistines but rather, they were turning to the ark, the object itself in a superstiscious manner.
I remember when I was a kid, the good-luck charm of the day was a rabbit’s foot key chains.  The thought of this totally creeps me out now - it did a little then too.  But I remember this little pretty girl in class had a kelly green one and I sooo wanted one!  People would just go around rubbing the soft, unnaturally colored fur with the intention of it bringing them 'good luck'.  We all might have a little giggle at this silly superstiscion from days gone by, but as Christians we need to be mindful to not let ourselves take on less obvious charms, idols, or even just other things or activities that we turn to instead of our Heavenly Father.
When we're facing the foe (whatever ‘foe’ you may be facing at the moment) to whom, or possibly - to what, are you turning to for your rescue?  Are you relying on God, or are you relying on your friends, on your social status, material goods, etc..  We all need to be mindful not to turn to 'it' to save us but only to our Lord.

Thank you God for your faithfulness and for your ability to handle all of our 'foes'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment