Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Meeting at the Kitchen Table

I love to spread out. 

First, I have my broken down well loved Ryrie study Bible that I've had since I was first saved over 18 years ago.  This poor old Bible has half of Genesis paper clipped in.  We were having a Bible study one night when a bunch of pages fell to the floor and my friend exclaimed, "Your Genesis just took and Exodus" LOL!!  But with all of its notes in the margins and highlighted/underlined passages, this is my 'go-to' Bible that I so cherish!

Next, my cheapo spiral bound notebook.  I love stocking up on notebooks during the 'most wonderful time of the year' otherwise known as 'back to school'.  (Kudos the ad executives that came up with that marketing plan for Staples years ago. Brilliant!!  I still get a chuckle every August.)  You can pick up notebooks for anywhere from .25 - $1. Stock up!  (For the record; I love having my children home over the summer - but the commercial is just classic.)

Then I have my blue pen.  Don't know why but I greatly prefer a pen with blue ink over black - and that being said, once I begin writing with one pen color, it's downright painful for me to switch to another color within a notebook.  Yes I know, issues... 

Then of course there is the essential cup of hot tea.  Black tea (preferably English breakfast) with one sugar and milk, in case you were wondering.  I must have my tea while studying.  They go hand-in-hand for me.  It's like peanut butter and jelly, thunder and lightning, a Christian movie and Kirk Cameron, you get my meaning.

Aside from these constants, some days a second Bible or even two may come to join us at the kitchen table.  Other days the laptop is invited so I can look up commentaries or search the Hebrew and/or Greek lexicons.  So although some days it's a limited guest list of supplies, and other days it's a full gathering, there is no place I love to spend my quiet time with God in His word more than at our oval kitchen table.

Do you have a special place where you meet with the Lord?  If you don't have one, I'd encourage you to find one.  Personally, I believe it helps to keep me faithful in my daily devotions with God.  It doesn't have to be an elaborate place, just a space where you can cultivate your relationship with the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment