Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Straight Path

Sorry for the lateness of this post.  It's been a busy week with my boys in camp and getting to join them on Monday.  What a blessing to see them having so much fun with their friends and trying out new things.  What an eye opener as well.

Going into this week, I had thought that the boys from our troop would be together, and they are.  What I didn't realize was that there would be other boys added to the group as well.  This of course does make sense though, as we didn't have enough boys to make a full group.

I met one of the other young boys right away and had the pleasure of meeting his mother who seemed a very nice lady.  Just before we got under way for the day, the other two boys joined the group and made their presence be known.

After a few stations, I could tell that these young men were not being brought up with the same sort of values as the other boys in our group.  Once we hit our fourth station for the day however, I really knew that these boys were not being brought up in a Christian home.  Long story short, topics of discussion that they brought up while waiting for the other boys to have a turn at the next activity were 'hatchet practice', using the father's machetti to cut off chicken heads, and strip clubs - yes, strip clubs!!!  Why on earth should 10 year old boys even know about such a thing?!?!?  I must say that their group leader did a great job at changing the subject and not letting the boys talk about inapproriate things.  While my heart broke for those boys, I was concerned about their conversations being heard by my sons.

This past year has had a lot of firsts for me as a mum.  I've sent our boys out to do things on their own for the first time and to be honest, I've had a lot of anxiety about it.  I've reminded myself again and again to 'be anxious for nothing, but everything through prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God and he will make your path straight." 

Sending my boys out the door for day two of camp without me was hard, especially after the topics mentioned above had been discussed by boys in their group.  I have been reminding the boys that they need to do what God tells them to do and act in a way that is pleasing to Him, not to join in something because the others are doing it.  I tell them to ask God what to do and He will guide them if ever they are confused.  I shared this week's verse with them:
Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

This is something that I need to remind myself of time and time again.  I don't need to waste time wrestling with something trying to figure it out on my own.  Go to God and trust in Him, we'll never take a wrong turn with God!!

Is there something that comes to mind today that you need to trust God for?

Next week's verse: Matthew 6:33

No comments:

Post a Comment