Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer with our Savior


Each year as the spring moves on and we count down to the start of summer, our minds (influenced by our ever-bulging calendars) look forward to the approaching reprieve most of us enjoy in the hot, school-free months. It is right, I think, that we take a break from the hustle and bustle of the school year and hopefully take time to rest and have fun with our families. Those that serve our Lord by teaching our children and leading adult Bible studies also often take a break from preparing their lessons. This too I think is necessary as we want to avoid burn-out.

As much as we all need a vacation from our normal schedule, we must be careful not to take a vacation from God. He never takes a break from us - can I get a big hallelujah on that?!

With this train of thought, I've been considering for a few weeks about having a 'study' on this blog to help us all with consistency in our walk with the Lord. I've had many ideas, but I didn't feel the Lord's leading, until today. I think what we should do is study what God puts on our hearts, but we can come here each week and check in on Monday, sharing what He has had to say to us.


Today I did a little homework as I have begun discipling a dear sister-in-Christ and wanted to be prepared for our time together. Our verse this week is John 16:24 - Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive and your joy will be complete. (yeah - that was from memory. I've always struggled with memorization, but I don't give up - it's so worth it!) This week we're talking about the assurance that our prayers are heard and answered. One of the verses used in this chapter is Philippians 4:6 - 7. Tonight I was brought to a place where I once again had to either chose to trust these verses, or tell God, "All set, I'm choosing to worry this out instead thanks." Phil. 4:6-7 says 'Be anxious for nothing, but everything through prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and soul in Christ Jesus.'

This isn't coincidence. Nope! God knew what was to come and made sure I was reminded once again of His instruction (don't worry - go to Him) and His promise (His peace). I don't know what is going to happen in this new situation that has me so sad/upset, but I do know that it isn't too big for God and that worrying will not help anything. I need His peace and strength to be there for others who will need me and I need to have my head clear to learn what is to be done. (Sorry - it's not that I'm trying to be cryptic, but I don't want to divuldge too much family info.)

So this is what I'm working on this week - or rather, what God is working on with me. I need to not worry, but trust and pray with confidence.

The prayer request I'd like to share: Please pray for discernment and a quick, clear and effective course of action.  

What is God saying to you this week? Is there a key scripture you're claiming? How can we pray for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment