Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Take the Blindfold Off and Get Movin'

I was driving home from work today with my two boys talking and laughing in the back seat.  About half way home my younger son (just turned 7) said, "Mum, do you know what Tom (that would be Tom of 'Tom & Jerry' fame) does when he sees the big bull running for him, or when a train is headed for him?"  "No, what does he do?", I answered.  "He puts a blindfold on and waits to be hit" he answered with a tone that left me with no doubt that he was smiling from ear to ear.  "Hmmm, I think I would just run out of the way instead of waiting to be hit." I said.  "Yeah," my little man reasoned, "I think he just doesn't want to see what's gonna come and run him over."

The wisdom, and chiding of those words hit me instantly.  When something is coming straight for us, do we get out of the way or simply put a blindfold on and wait for what seems to be the inevitable?

The scripture I'm studying this week with my friend who I am discipling is 1 Corinthians 10:13 -
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.  And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Maybe the bull or train that seems to be heading our way is a great temptation.  Maybe it seems that we can't avoid this fast approaching threat.  Maybe, we deal with it, by not dealing with it.  Maybe we put on a blindfold of sorts and wait to be crushed.

Let's step back and look.  As a young lady (or even a married woman), this 'train' may come in the form of a young man whom we are attracted to. This young man may be very appealing (in many ways).  But does he know the Lord?  Is he walking with the Lord?  Where is this 'relationship' headed?  Are we going to get knocked off our feet and off of our walk with the Lord?

Maybe instead, this 'bull' is our enjoyment of good times and partying.  Possibly we start having a glass of wine here to take the edge off when we've had a tough day with the kids, and then we begin a weekly 'girls night out' having a 'few drinks' at the local watering hole.  Next we keep a bottle of something at home to get us through the day.  Will we be brought to our knees and not be able to continue a sober relationship with God?

God does not promise that we'll never experience temptation - a train or bull will come at us from time to time.  He does however, promise that He will provide a way to keep us from being plowed down. 
Instead of reaching for the blindfold, lets look up to heaven and ask God to show us, and give us the strength to get out of the way.  Claim His promises!

Next week's verse: 1 John 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment