Sunday, January 29, 2012

Psalm 130

Don't you just love the Psalms?!
I adore their emotion and sentiment.

I was so struck yesterday as I read the beginning of Psalm 130.  "Out of the depths I have cried to Thee, O Lord."  vs. 1.  Can't you just hear the raw emotion?  Have you ever been there, just emptiying yourself  out to the Lord in such honest cry? "Lord, hear my voice!" vs. 2  God always hears us, but sometimes we just want to be sure we have His attention.

My 6 year old son was relaying a story from school on that day.  He was going through the tale in his typical sing-songy fashion with great expression on his face.  About half way through the story he decided that his father's occassional acknowledgements, "Oh ya.  He did?  Really?", were not sufficient and he wasn't convinced that his dad was really listening to him so he climbed up on the couch, continuing with his story, but now his two little hands were on either side of my husband's face to make sure he had his full attention.

I think of this scenario when I read this verse.  It's like David wanted his hands on God's face in order to look him in the eye.  "Are you listening Dad?" 
The answer is in Jer. 29:12 - "You will pray to me and I will hear you."  What a great promise!!

The Psalms are such a great example of how to offer praise and thanksgiving; but what I really love, is their reminder for us to be completely, whole-heartedly honest with God in our prayer. Cry out to Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment