Monday, January 30, 2012

It's About the Pages in THE Book, Not a Page in a Frame

Confession time.
I struggle with the sin of insecurity.  It is a sin because if one truly believed on God's words about our being fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14) and how we are the apple of God's eye (Psalm 17:8) and how He loved us so much that He sent His son to die for us (John 3:16) then how could we feel insecure or have a low self-esteem?

One fall I attended a ladies retreat where the guest speaker was Maggie Rowe who spoke on the friendships of women.  Maggie spoke in such an animated fashion.  Well into the retreat I remembered she read a scene from Anne of Green Gables with such enthusiasm that I found myself wanting to yell out, "Then what?"  She had (and still has, I'm sure) a vibrant way of sharing God's message with us.
I was moved at that retreat.  It was then that I first felt the Lord calling me to serve His daughters.  I had no idea how.  Or when.  Or where.  Or... why???  But I definitely heard Him.
Span forward several years and after peripheral involvement in my previous church's women's fellowship group, the Lord called me to serve Him by serving the ladies of my current church as Women's Ministry Coordinator.  Over the past 6+ years I have been blessed to lead the women in many Bible studies and help to organize many special events and retreats in addition to being an occasional speaker  (mostly within our church).  But every so often I have an almost overwhelming feeling of, "Who am I to do this?  I don't have a theological degree.  I don't have any degree.  I have no formal training.  Who am I to speak to women about God and share His word with them?"

Now enter the truth God shared with me today.  Acts 4:13 - When they (the Sanhedrin) saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.   Did you catch that?  "Unschooled, ordinary men."   If God could use Peter and John who didn't have a shiny framed diploma from Bible U between them to reach people for Christ, then why couldn't He use me?

God can use the least to do His work because it reminds us all that it is His Power, His Wisdom and not anything of our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment